Bowling Forums, Bowling Discussion and Bowling Talk
Sign up Calendar Latest Topics
 
 
 


Reply
  Author   Comment  
chadlv

Registered:
Posts: 46
Reply with quote  #1 
We have a weekly 50/50 drawing for charity. It is included in our league rules, and states one winner will be drawn each week and what charity we donate too.

Well last week, it was changed to 2 winners drawn with 60/40 split. Without a vote on it. My team thinks there should have been a vote on it, brought it to the league secretary (she basically runs the league), and she just said I don’t know and that was that.

Should we force them to vote the change into the rules and go with who won? Or go back to what rules state and if they want to change, do the change next season?

Pullmyfinger

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 1,660
Reply with quote  #2 
If it is in your league rules, then yes. But on the flip side I believe you have no recourse with USBC as they do not get involved with any type of gambling which I think applies here.  
Dare

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 1,357
Reply with quote  #3 
I just started bowling in a league with a half and half with a
total sales of around $700 a week. They pay the half in 10
drawing of around $35 a piece. The rest is supposed to go 
to the prize fund.....We'll see

__________________
Pink Black Widow   Pyramid Curse

Web Tour
chadlv

Registered:
Posts: 46
Reply with quote  #4 
USBC wise I know is out the window. Wasn’t too concerned about that. Just needed some opinions about it. Just caught me off guard, since in the meeting, we voted on just about everything, down to what color of tickets they use for the 50/50.
chadlv

Registered:
Posts: 46
Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dare
I just started bowling in a league with a half and half with a
total sales of around $700 a week. They pay the half in 10
drawing of around $35 a piece. The rest is supposed to go 
to the prize fund.....We'll see


Don’t get me started on prize fund, in a 32 team league, first place only gets about $20 more than last place per half per person. First $136 last $119
Pullmyfinger

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 1,660
Reply with quote  #6 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dare
I just started bowling in a league with a half and half with a
total sales of around $700 a week. They pay the half in 10
drawing of around $35 a piece. The rest is supposed to go 
to the prize fund.....We'll see


Is it a mandatory donation each week? If not I hate that. If my team puts puts in $50 every week and another team puts in zero, that's not right. I'm putting money in their pocket for nothing.

On my Friday league they disperse it evenly to each team and it drives me nuts every season. The other thing they do is send two delegates to a meeting every year and pay for it out of 50/50. I brought that up at a meeting and said it should come out the the general prize fund. The president at the time agreed, but "that's the way we've always done it" and it went nowhere. 
Oldbowler

Registered:
Posts: 393
Reply with quote  #7 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dare
I just started bowling in a league with a half and half with a
total sales of around $700 a week. They pay the half in 10
drawing of around $35 a piece. The rest is supposed to go 
to the prize fund.....We'll see


Senior league at Dixie they pay out the drawing in two halves to the ticket holders, and none goes in the prize fund.  Fine with me, I don't gamble.


__________________
Old bowlers never die, they just fade away.
Dare

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 1,357
Reply with quote  #8 
Unfortunately even if you didn't buy any half any half's you reap the same benefit which
I think sucks. My concern is skimming off the top. We didn't bowl Xmas and New Year weeks
because the Sec who sells half and half didn't want to hear the kids screaming off from school.
There was only 6 lanes open they could bowl on. She's not my favorite person


__________________
Pink Black Widow   Pyramid Curse

Web Tour
Pullmyfinger

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 1,660
Reply with quote  #9 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dare
Unfortunately even if you didn't buy any half any half's you reap the same benefit which
I think sucks. My concern is skimming off the top. We didn't bowl Xmas and New Year weeks
because the Sec who sells half and half didn't want to hear the kids screaming off from school.
There was only 6 lanes open they could bowl on. She's not my favorite person



That's a problem in every league. Even people who are pretty trustworthy fall to the temptation of skimming. They get irritated when people don't tip and start taking off the top.  
Oldbowler

Registered:
Posts: 393
Reply with quote  #10 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pullmyfinger


That's a problem in every league. Even people who are pretty trustworthy fall to the temptation of skimming. They get irritated when people don't tip and start taking off the top.  


They get irritated when people don't tip and start taking off the top.  

Huh?  The secretary gets paid by the league to handle the funds related to the league competition.  Usually it's X per bowler per week.  Why should anyone get tips in a bowling league.  The side pots should never be run by the secretary, or any other officer in the league.  Side pots are the bowlers gambling with each other according to how much and on what aspect of the game.  High single, high series, mystery score, etc.  That should be run by whomever the league membership deems to be trustworthy, not a league officer.  In my opinion gambling shouldn't be allowed anyway, so I don't.

__________________
Old bowlers never die, they just fade away.
Dare

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 1,357
Reply with quote  #11 
When your taking in $700 bucks a week in the half and half you have
$350 building up every week....very temping in the least.

Guy I used to bowl with won a jack pot and when he didn't tip
the guy that runs it he wasn't allowed in next week.

Bowl a strikes are the biggest pot to cheat in. Skim off the top,
give yourself free tickets,give friends free tickets and they split
with you. Show  me the money and I'll show you a crook

__________________
Pink Black Widow   Pyramid Curse

Web Tour
Pullmyfinger

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 1,660
Reply with quote  #12 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldbowler


They get irritated when people don't tip and start taking off the top.  

Huh?  The secretary gets paid by the league to handle the funds related to the league competition.  Usually it's X per bowler per week.  Why should anyone get tips in a bowling league.  The side pots should never be run by the secretary, or any other officer in the league.  Side pots are the bowlers gambling with each other according to how much and on what aspect of the game.  High single, high series, mystery score, etc.  That should be run by whomever the league membership deems to be trustworthy, not a league officer.  In my opinion gambling shouldn't be allowed anyway, so I don't.


Never mentioned the secretary. Just about every league I've bowled in non-officers collect the 50/50, strike ball and all the other jackpots. Only one league I was in had a handful of mandatory pots that went into the envelope. 

On the flip side I have zero issues with if the ones collecting pots took 10% off the top and did not accept tips. However when there's cash involved someone will skim somewhere. Just have to prove it.
Oldbowler

Registered:
Posts: 393
Reply with quote  #13 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pullmyfinger


Never mentioned the secretary. Just about every league I've bowled in non-officers collect the 50/50, strike ball and all the other jackpots. Only one league I was in had a handful of mandatory pots that went into the envelope. 

On the flip side I have zero issues with if the ones collecting pots took 10% off the top and did not accept tips. However when there's cash involved someone will skim somewhere. Just have to prove it.


I realized I wanted no part of gambling and bowling when I bowled a tournament in Vegas.  I won with a 264 average for 4 games only to find that women in the tournament were betting on putting my scores with theirs in the mixed double side pots and winning, without my knowledge or permission.  Really ticked me off.  Not because they didn't split, rather because I don't believe in gambling and winning off someone else's talent.  Any of the sports related gambling I see is based on someone else's skill and talent, not an individual betting on himself.

__________________
Old bowlers never die, they just fade away.
CObowler

Registered:
Posts: 57
Reply with quote  #14 
League rules can be changed after the start of the schedule only by unanimous consent.  If just one team objects, the original league rule stands.   
 
High score side pots, match brackets, strike pots, raffles, card games and other similar activities not directly related to actual league competition should never be written into league rules.  That ensures participation is voluntary, not mandatory.
 
I have no problem with a league secretary or other officer organizing these extracurricular activities.  They are individuals who have already earned the trust of league members.   
 
I am surprised to read that tipping and skimming exists in some places.  Of all the leagues I have bowled in through the years, not once have I known anyone to expect a tip for organizing a pot or to skim a percentage of money collected.  As a longtime secretary who also administered side score competitions during league play, I never accepted anything more than the per-game salary set in the league rules.  Any pot or drawing money I collected was always paid out in full to the rightful winners.   
Pullmyfinger

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 1,660
Reply with quote  #15 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldbowler


I realized I wanted no part of gambling and bowling when I bowled a tournament in Vegas.  I won with a 264 average for 4 games only to find that women in the tournament were betting on putting my scores with theirs in the mixed double side pots and winning, without my knowledge or permission.  Really ticked me off.  Not because they didn't split, rather because I don't believe in gambling and winning off someone else's talent.  Any of the sports related gambling I see is based on someone else's skill and talent, not an individual betting on himself.


That's crap. Whether you're okay with gambling or not, no one should make money off your bowling without your consent. 
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.