Bowling Forums, Bowling Discussion and Bowling Talk
Sign up Calendar Latest Topics
 
 
 


Reply
  Author   Comment   Page 2 of 3      Prev   1   2   3   Next
themrfreeze

Avatar / Picture

Moderator
Registered:
Posts: 3,841
Reply with quote  #16 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigCat
Paul...I don't know much about maintaining urethane balls...I'm sure 'themrfreeze' will help you out.


You bet I will. [smile]

Oil does not soak into a urethane ball like it does a resin ball, so maintaining a urethane ball is actually easier. 

First, it's not necessary to use a cleaner on a urethane ball IMMEDIATELY after league ends like you do with resin.  The oil stays on the surface of the ball, so a quick cleaning with any basic degreaser (be it a homemade formula, or a commercial product, or just a single chemical like window cleaner, iso alcohol, or Simple Green) will remove the oil.  Do this at your leisure.

It's also not necessary to periodically "rejuvenate" the coverstock on a urethane ball using the hot bucket of water method, or a dedicated ball rejuvenation oven, or a trip through the dishwasher.  Oil never soaks into the shell, so there's nothing to extract.

If you want to restore the dull surface on a urethane ball (or a resin ball for that matter), invest in a ball spinner.  Wet clean the ball to get the oil off first, then spray some cleaner on an appropriate abrasive pad and sand the ball while it's spinning.  Reposition the ball a few times to vary the scratch pattern.  Abralon pads are popular, but I only use them for shining up a ball, never for dulling it down.  The abrasive particles on an Abralon pad are too uniform in size, so you never get it truly dull.  A plain foam-backed sanding pad from a home center, or a Scotch-Brite pad, does a great job.



themrfreeze

Avatar / Picture

Moderator
Registered:
Posts: 3,841
Reply with quote  #17 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigCat

oh...look at page 6. Isopropyl alcohol, Windex, Simple Green. Imagine that...



This is true, but they don't specifically approve the use of the three chemicals MIXED TOGETHER.  I asked about this once (I forget who I asked), and IIRC was told that if I paid the USBC $100 or so, they would add the mix to their list of approved cleaners.  

Needless to say, I declined the kind offer.  [wink]

And as for why the mix doesn't have water in it, that's because Windex is mostly water to begin with.


TheBigCat

Registered:
Posts: 25
Reply with quote  #18 
Quote:
Originally Posted by themrfreeze


This is true, but they don't specifically approve the use of the three chemicals MIXED TOGETHER.  I asked about this once (I forget who I asked), and IIRC was told that if I paid the USBC $100 or so, they would add the mix to their list of approved cleaners.  

Needless to say, I declined the kind offer.  [wink]

And as for why the mix doesn't have water in it, that's because Windex is mostly water to begin with.



Mixing approved chemicals is fine, and legal. I checked.
It would be next to impossible to actually list every possible combination of approved chemicals and approved cleaners. If everything in your bottle is approved, so is the combination. Who paid the $100 to have rubbing alcohol put on the list? Um...no one.
[smile]
khy102

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 29
Reply with quote  #19 
So, while we are on the subject:
1)  I'm guilty of never cleaning my ball at all while bowling and after.  I take into the pro shop before and after the 1st half of our season to get the oil removed.

2)  I am going to get better at this though starting in the fall league coming up. 

3) As for towels, you can wash them, right.  I did read somewhere about not washing them because they won't soak up the oil as well.  Unless that was a microfiber or another one I'm not aware of.

4) Is one cleaner good for all balls?  I have an Ebonite Regency 300, Raid, Gyro I, and a Morich Awesome Hook.  Think I'm retiring the Raid.  Thumb hole shattered the end of the first half this past year, got that plugged and re-drilled.  Now it's falling apart at the finger holes and cracking around the pin.
1VegasBowler

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 109
Reply with quote  #20 
Washing a towel is a good thing to get the oil and dirt out of it.

When you dry them, don't use a dryer sheet.

__________________
DV8 Equipment - Ruckus Schizo #15, Thug Unruly #12, Vandal #12.
Brunswick Equipment - Ultimate Nirvana #14, Vintage Danger Zone #12, T-Zone #12.

Memberships

Board of Directors USBC Southern Nevada - http://www.sonvbowl.com

9TapTour Las Vegas Region - http://www.9taptour.com
themrfreeze

Avatar / Picture

Moderator
Registered:
Posts: 3,841
Reply with quote  #21 
Quote:
Originally Posted by khy102

3) As for towels, you can wash them, right.  I did read somewhere about not washing them because they won't soak up the oil as well.  Unless that was a microfiber or another one I'm not aware of.

Wash microfiber towels separately from anything else, and don't use fabric softener...that's what makes then non-absorbent. 

Quote:

4) Is one cleaner good for all balls?  I have an Ebonite Regency 300, Raid, Gyro I, and a Morich Awesome Hook.  Think I'm retiring the Raid.  Thumb hole shattered the end of the first half this past year, got that plugged and re-drilled.  Now it's falling apart at the finger holes and cracking around the pin.


Use the same cleaner for everything, since it's the same oil on all of the equipment.  I use the same ingredients TheBigCat uses (Windex - isopropyl alcohol - Simple Green), but I use them in a 2:2:1 ratio instead.  No specific reason why...that's just the ratio I read about at some point in the now distant future, and it works just fine.


thebigcat

Registered:
Posts: 1
Reply with quote  #22 

Important

Curiosity, (and OCD) dictated that I check further into what can and cannot be used, during competition, to clean a bowling ball. I talked to the head of the Detroit assn., and a couple rules people from the national USBC.
The rules can be complicated and convoluted because more than one rule can apply to a situation, but there is one very easy rule that can keep everyone safe from trouble with rules violations.

Any product, name brand or otherwise, can only be legally used during certified competition, if it is in it's original container.
This, obviously, makes the use of any homemade mixture illegal since there is no original container.
It also makes legal products illegal, if we bring them in anything other than their original container.

Strangely enough, or maybe not so strange, it is legal to take any combination of approved substances, provided each is in it's original container, and apply them to the same towel/cloth, etc., and then use that towel to wipe off the ball. 
???...well, who's going to do that, anyway...

One thing to look out for, and apparently this is a fairly common occurrence, is that if you do apply a liquid to a cloth, and use it to wipe your ball off between throws, the ball must be totally dry before you release the ball onto the lane.
The USBC looks very hard into what substances dry, or evaporate quickly enough that they can be used before a bowler's turn.
They are currently looking at a few approved products that some bowlers have complained do not dry (evaporate, disappear) before the bowler releases the ball onto the lane surface. (They wouldn't tell me which ones they're taking another look at).

Anyway...sorry for putting incorrect info out there...

[frown]

Fordman

Registered:
Posts: 3,649
Reply with quote  #23 
Why don't you say what you really mean.  Always beating around the bush..  I always clean my balls on May 3rd and that is tomorrow.
__________________
Shake a Vets hand you owe them.
Dearborn Mi. Home town of Henry Ford
BowlingOldies

Registered:
Posts: 1,764
Reply with quote  #24 

Quote:
thebigcat wrote:

Any product, name brand or otherwise, can only be legally used during certified competition, if it is in it's original container. 
This, obviously, makes the use of any homemade mixture illegal since there is no original container.



Ahem.  As I was saying...

I don't make statements (about these homemade recipes being illegal in USBC competition) lightly that seem to have gotten you riled up enough to mistakenly assert that I've "incorrect[ly] [stated] assumptions...as fact."  I already had this conversation with the good people who interpret the rules in Arlington, TX at the USBC.  If you want to test out what I learned, try applying that homemade solution on a bowling ball at Nationals.  I'll set the over/under on how long it takes an official to come and throw out your scores or disqualify you altogether at 5 minutes.

As for the question of legal solutions drying before the ball is thrown, yes, this goes back to the long-standing rule about foreign substances not being allowed on the bowling ball.  That's why for as long as I can remember, you'd see pros on TV hitting their thumbhole with a rosin bag (to get some rosin inside the hole), but then wiping off the ball with a towel to make sure no foreign substance (rosin) remained on the surface of the ball before they threw the ball.  The same is true of a foreign substance that happens to be liquid.  It has to be wiped off or evaporated before you can make a legal throw with the ball.  No foreign substance may be on the ball at the time it is thrown down the lane.  This rule has been around since before the first time I ordered a rule book from the American Bowling Congress back when I was a kid.

Oh, and as for the folks back in Texas that I heard from a dear friend were using That Purple Stuff, they're all a bunch of nobodies...if you consider a USBC Hall of Famer, two PBA Hall of Famers and a half-dozen or more former PBA bowlers "nobodies," not to mention all the other scratch bowlers in the area that I've heard from my friend are buying up the stuff like hotcakes.  I hate to break the news to you, but Detroit is not the only hotbed of bowling in America where you'll find very knowledgeable and highly skilled and well-informed bowlers.  I trust my friend who told me about That Purple Stuff.  I've known him since we were both PBA members back in the '70s.  He's cynical enough to not easily fall for hype.  Oh, and he won the first PBA tournament he ever entered back in the '70s, and now, at 62 after open heart surgery, he's back bowling again and averaging 230.  Another nobody.

Quote:
thebigcat wrote:  oh...sorry for sounding flippant, but it annoys me when incorrect assumptions are stated as fact, especially when it's so easy to actually check what is legal and what isn't.

Sorry for sounding flippant, but it annoys me when people accuse me of "incorrectly stating assumptions as fact."  (This is twice you've done that.)  I wouldn't insult you, and I would appreciate the same courtesy.  It is my sincere belief that everyone in this forum has every intention of sharing the best information they have for the benefit of the community found here.  I believe that of you, of Keith and all the other people who post here.  I can assure you it's my intent, as well.

1VegasBowler

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 109
Reply with quote  #25 
One of the great things we have is having the ability to express our opinions. Whether or not we agree with those opinions is up to the individual.

Like this and any other threads I have started or participated in here, I certainly like seeing what others have to say and even try to take something from them that could be beneficial to my game.

It is never my intent to get a bru-ha-ha going. It's about getting some information and having some fun.

Getting on somebody's case because of the equipment they use is not productive. Whether it's their arsenal, cleaning materials, drilling, surfacing their balls or how they extract the oil becomes a personal preference or on the manufacturers recommendations.

In most cases, we choose equipment that fits our game the best. Only as an example: Just because Storm works great for one doesn't mean it works for another.

We can all certainly agree to disagree. But sometimes we confuse facts from our own prejudices and we end up making some statements that aren't quite true and can backfire on us.

__________________
DV8 Equipment - Ruckus Schizo #15, Thug Unruly #12, Vandal #12.
Brunswick Equipment - Ultimate Nirvana #14, Vintage Danger Zone #12, T-Zone #12.

Memberships

Board of Directors USBC Southern Nevada - http://www.sonvbowl.com

9TapTour Las Vegas Region - http://www.9taptour.com
Fordman

Registered:
Posts: 3,649
Reply with quote  #26 
People who agree about everything are "settlers"  You would think that we were allowed to say what we really feel and not sugar coat it.  I have always had trouble getting along with people who love guns and god.  I love to argue with them about it.  I never get my feelings hurt and if I hurt theirs I quit talking about it with them.  Thin skinned folks need to lighten up.  The cat says the purple stuff should be brown you like it who gives a brown stuff......  Lighten up fellows....
__________________
Shake a Vets hand you owe them.
Dearborn Mi. Home town of Henry Ford
pbateson

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 1,337
Reply with quote  #27 
I use this on my urethane ball and other my two balls [smile]

801-2T.jpg 


__________________
Khun Paul
Dare

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 1,330
Reply with quote  #28 
If it works for TBC it's good enough for me.
__________________
Pink Black Widow   Pyramid Curse

Web Tour
thebigcat

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 83
Reply with quote  #29 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dare
If it works for TBC it's good enough for me.

[smile]
(just don't use it during certified competition)
[nono]
[rofl]

__________________

Futura
Rising Star
Mix

 

NYYTony

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 72
Reply with quote  #30 
I use a microfiber towel to wipe off all surface oil after every shot and Simple Green concentrate after each session.  My balls do seem to stay in good condition for a long time using these two items.
__________________
NYYTony My Arsenal: mostly Storm and Roto Grip.  
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.